BUSA welcome President Ramaphosa’s address to the nation on 25th July 2021. We note particularly the following:
- Moving down from lockdown level 4 to 3
- Allowing off-site alcohol sales, although not opening this up fully. We have asked for data and rationalization for the decisions on alcohol restrictions and will continue to try and access this.
- Allowing on-site sale of alcohol and starting Curfew at 22:00
- Opening inter-provincial travel for leisure
- Announcing a relief package for businesses and employees affected by the recent anarchy, including extension of TERS to March 2022, deferring excise duties for the alcohol industry and delaying PAYE submissions
- A clear indication that action will be taken against anybody inciting violence, including the “business mafia” that had been intimidating construction sites for some time.
We appreciate the address. We also call upon President Ramaphosa to ensure accountability for the weaknesses on our intelligence and security services during the anarchy. We stand ready to support the President in ensuring a fit-for-purpose intelligence and security service to be prepared for any further attempts to destabilize our country. Finally, we urge the President to order the quick identification and arrest of those who planned the recent insurrection
Business Unity SA CEO
For more information, please contact:
Tel: 011 784 8000