This is the 4th in a series of 5 webinars that explore the policies, business case, technologies and opportunities provided by green hydrogen and derivatives in the mining, chemicals, electricity, iron and steel, cement, agriculture and transportation sectors.
Full details and documentation from the first three Green Hydrogen Webinars can be found here:
- Full document pack for the 1st Green Hydrogen Webinar here
- Full document pack for the 2nd Green Hydrogen Webinar here
- Full document pack for the 3rd Green Hydrogen Webinar here
The 4th Green Hydrogen Webinar for Southern Africa
The 4th Green Hydrogen Webinar for Southern Africa is facilitated by EE Business Intelligence, and co-hosted with the U.S. Embassy/USAID in South Africa. The U.S. Chargé d’ Affaires Mr Todd P. Haskell will introduce Mr Valli Moosa, Deputy Chair of the Presidential Climate Commission, who will present the opening keynote address.
The co-hosting of the webinar by the U.S. Embassy in South Africa and USAID signals the interest and support of the U.S. Government in green hydrogen initiatives in the Southern Africa region.
The participation of the Deputy Chair of the Presidential Climate Commission is intended to detail South Africa’s positions at the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) hosted by the UK in Glasgow from 1 – 12 Nov 2021, and the role of green hydrogen in the decarbonisation, development and transformation of the economies of the region.
Green hydrogen and derivatives are used in sectors which may be difficult to decarbonise and not easily driven directly by renewables-based electricity, including road, rail and air transportation, shipping, and production of steel, cement and fertiliser, amongst others.
South Africa has exceptional endowments of platinum group metals, wind and solar natural resources, and mature mining, petrochemical, iron and steel, industrial, agricultural and transportation sectors, coupled with low population density and the availability of relatively low-cost land.
There are massive business, engineering and job opportunities arising, as can be seen here:
This provides a unique opportunity for decarbonisation, re-industrialisation and job creation around the green economy in South Africa.
Presenters at the 4th Green Hydrogen Webinar for Southern Africa are:
- Mr Todd P. Haskell, Chargé d’ Affaires ad interim to the U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa
- Mr Valli Moosa, Deputy Chair of the Presidential Climate Commission, South Africa
- Dr Sunita Satyapal, Director: Hydrogen & Fuel Cell Technologies, U.S. Department of Energy, USA
- Mr James Mnyupe, Economic Advisor to the President of Namibia
- Ms Natascha Viljoen, CEO, Anglo American Platinum, South Africa
- Dr Robert T. Do, CEO, SG H2 Energy Global, Washington DC, USA
- Mr Georg Varma, Partner, Pinsent Masons, Perth, Australia
- Mr James Mackay, Director, Energy Strategy and Infrastructure, PWC, South Africa
We look forward to your attendance and participation at the webinar!